Fun Franchise Facts
HERE ARE SOME FRANCHISE FACTS
Looking at inside industry data compiled by bfa and Natwest we are able to bring you the below information. This clearly shows the UK franchise industry booming.
2015 sets a record year for franchising
The franchise industry performance hits a new high after steady growth over the past decade. New records have been met in all areas of franchise numbers; staffing numbers, turnover and additionally, profitability.
UK Franchise industry statistics:
The statistics from the latest bfa/NatWest survey show:
The UK Franchise Industry has an annual turnover (2015) of £15.1 billion.
This is a whopping 46% increase over the past 10 years and a very healthy 10% increase over the past two.
A record 97% of franchise owned units recorded profitability. That is just 0.3% that are struggling – compare this to start up businesses and it is clear to see why franchising is so popular!
Franchisees’ satisfaction with their franchisor is also at record level; with 91% reporting satisfaction.
– 901 franchisor brands are currently operating in the UK
– Which makes up 44,200 franchisee outlets in the UK
– 621,000 people are currently employed in franchising in the UK
The average turnover per franchise also continues to rise! With over half of all UK based franchises claiming an annual turnover of more than £250,000.
As you can clearly see the figures prove the strength of the franchise industry and the attractiveness of the opportunities in the UK.
- 55% of British want to be their own boss.
- 37% of all households are involved in small business.
- 70% of all college students want to start a business.
- 1 out of every 25 adults is currently starting a business
- Average of royalties paid by Franchisees range from 3% – 6% of monthly gross sales.
- Job growth in franchising in 2015 is up 2.9%.
- Franchising by those 55 and older is up 40% since 2007.
- +5.4%: predicted growth in franchise economic output for 2019
- McDonald’s: the top franchise company
- 10 years: the average length of a franchise contract